CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Jackie Robinson Day!

Today 61 years ago the game of baseball was forever changed. I read in a book titled "How to be like Jackie Robinson" a story about what happened before the greatest day in baseball. So here is the story...

Mr. Robinson played baseball professionally in the Negro Leagues. (At the time, the sport was segregated, and African Americans and whites played in separate leagues.) Robinson, however, was chosen by Branch Rickey , a vice president with the Brooklyn Dodgers, to help integrate major league baseball. This is were the story really begins.

Mr. Rickey had asked the Brooklyn Dodgers General Manager (or someone like that) to meet with Jackie and get him to talk to Mr. Rickey, the GM (or whoever) asked Jackie several times to meet with the Dodgers. He even told Jackie that he would get on the train with him to meet Mr. Rickey (Jackie was nervous about that) but agreed to get on a train and meet Mr. Rickey.

When Jackie got to the front office the Dodgers secretary showed him were Mr. Rickey's office was, Jackie then walked in and this is what Jackie heard from Mr. Rickey... (For those of you who hate racism the language is a bit graphic so I will clean it up and you can fill in the blank)

..."Aw yes sit down N*" Jackie had heard this before and reluctantly sat down. He then looked at this man and said "Sir what can I do for you?" "This is why N*..." Mr. Rickey then began using every racist term in the books, while Jackie just sat there. Then Mr. Rickey looked at Jackie pulled him out of his chair and began shaking his hand he then said with tears running down his cheeks "Oh Mr. Robinson! I am so sorry! I just wanted to see what you would do!! I know now that I picked the right man!"

A stunned Jackie looked at him and said "I am sorry I just do not understand." Mr. Rickey then began to explain his crazy idea to change baseball and America forever. Jackie then said something like "Mr. Rickey I do not know if you realized but I am just a simple Negro man what can I do?" (I am trying to remember word for word what was said with its authenticity so if I miss quoted something or something please go read the book it is amazing.)

Mr. Rickey said something along the lines of "That is why I want you. Because you ignored what I said to you when you walked in." ; and that is the story within the story. So I hope you enjoyed it.


Thanks Mr. Robinson for turning the other cheek and changing my favorite game!

0 comments: